Sunday, March 15, 2009

Meet Cat from CatsWire

Each week here on the European Artfire Guild blog we will be letting you get to know a little bit more about our Guild members.

This week it is Cat from CatsWire.


1. Please introduce us to who you are.
I am 43 years old, a librarian during the day Monday till Thursday, and I live together with my husband, five cats, a bunny, a guinea pig and several gerbils.

2. Where in the world are you and what is the best thing about where you live?
I live in a smaller town in Southern Germany, not very far from Stuttgart for those who ever had heard of that. The best thing is that I love my home town where I also was born and came back after five years of "exile". The second best thing is that my city is not far from Giengen where the Steiff factory with the museum is, always a fun trip to make!

3. Tell us a little about your craft and why you love it.
Although I started to try other things as well and have tried different crafts, wire crocheting really got me hooked (I know, the joke is not new). Not only that I can sit relatively comfortably while doing it, but I love the fragility of it and the amazingly different things you can make with it. I love the way the hook and the wire guide my fingers sometimes and what may have started out as a ring, ends as a drop with a little bending and experimenting. It's never boring and I surprise myself constantly.

4.What is the most expensive supply you have purchased for your craft?
The most expensive supply is the silver I use, I think. I stare longingly at beautiful gems, but I am holding myself back ... yet.

5. Could you please tell us about a person in your life that has inspired you?
My greatest inspiration has been my mother, not for my craft, though, but for my life. I admire her for the way she handled a big, rowdy family all those years and wish I had been not so blind and often selfish when I was young, even if it was mostly the typical teenager behaviour. I hope I can pay a little bit of it back now that I'm able to. For my craft the inspiration has been in all the crafters I've seen through the years. There was a friend of mine who used to knit the most gorgeous sweaters (mine are hardly to be called okay) or a friend who was so good at drawing or or or ....

6. If there was only 24 hours left before the world ended what would you be doing?
Erm, I don't know. Probably panicking in the attempt to finish everything I started? Lie in the grass, look at the clouds or at the moon at night. Really I have no idea, I don't plan that far.

7. What is your favourite meal?
Kässpätzle, no doubt. For those not from Southern Germany, this is like a traditional dish, I am going to try to explain. Spätzle are noodles made from flour, water, salt and eggs. Lots of eggs if you are a proud homemaker. You should make them yourself, the ready-made don't taste very good. After they have been boiled, you add cheese (Käse) and onions. Non-purists can add other ingredients, too. I am Swabish, I am a purist.

Now you know a little more about me and if you have any more questions about my craft or me go ahead and ask

2 comments:

Mary V said...

I love that silver crochet! I have got my small hook and my fine silver wire but have not yet got going. That necklace on the flickr strip is really stunning! How many hours does it take to make a major piece like that?

Cat said...

Sorry, I had missed this comment. My pieces take from an hour to three (rarely four or five hours) depending on what it is. Often the pure crochet part isn't even the biggest one, but the fiddling around to make it look right or to thread all the beads or to finish my kitty head faces! ;-)